Saturday, January 28, 2012

behind the wire

My heart is so full.
How can I describe this week in words?
How can I describe my thoughts as I walked behind these fences on Monday for the 32nd time in six years? 
How can I describe the honest JOY that filled my heart at the thought of what would happen during our three hours in prison each night?
How can I describe what it is like to see these men and women inmates broken before God?
How can I describe seeing God's power come down and literally, physically, heal the sick? 
How can I describe the fire of God that fell each night as my twenty-year old cousin passionately proclaimed the gospel and the truth of God's redemption and grace?
How can I describe singing to men and women who were weeping, laughing, shouting, and weeping again?
How can I describe the testimonies we heard every night from inmates?
How can I describe the church behind bars? How it is SO alive? How it puts our churches to shame? How it makes me want to know God more?
How can I describe all this?
I can't. Words can't express it....I just know that it changes me every time I experience it. 
I come away with a renewed sense of what I have in godly family....a renewed sense of God's glory.....a renewed sense of thankfulness.....a renewed sense of the POWER of Jesus in changing lives.
Yes...my heart is full!

4 comments:

  1. You said it so well. I'm so glad I was there to experience some of this with you. I still haven't processed everything about last week...it was just such a God thing that I was there & how it impacted me. ~ Dorcas

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is at work in them, and in You. May He be praised! When John Newton wrote Amazing Grace, the line "that saved a wretch like me" is certainly there for a reason! I hope and pray I remember that as I interact with those in my life I can easily consider "wretches" and remember how much God loves me, and loves them, and can love them through me as I seek him for wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and happy 21st birthday, Chelsey! May God continue to work His will in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I get the 'holy goosebumps' just reading this. I remember my short time in prison ministry. It is an unforgettable experience.

    Happy 21st, niece!

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing profanity and/or hateful language will not be published.