Friday, October 25, 2013

Guest Post||Cooking With Allison

Hello, readers! 
Tonight I am excited to have my lovely sister, Allison, as a guest on the blog, to share one of her fantabulous recipes! All of you that know her know that she is seriously one of the best cooks ever. And the rest of you will just have to come visit sometime and you will believe me right away. =) The very cool thing about all of the food that she cooks is that she has the crazy ability to whip up a super fattening, comforting, and AMAZING triple chocolate cheesecake one minute...and a gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free no-bake cheesecake the next. How does that work, you ask?
Well, she's just amazing like that. Uber-healthy, non-healthy, in between...she can do it all. 
In addition to doing a lot of the cooking for our family, she has done most of the individual cooking for one of my brothers (who over the past five years has been on about every single kind of diet you can imagine, due to some of his health issues) and has taught herself how to make unbelievably good things, out of ingredients that don't sound so great. (to me, if it is minus sugar and wheat and dairy it sounds like sad. but she has made things without those ingredients, that even I liked.)
When I asked her to do a guest post/recipe today, she told me right away that she had this new granola bar recipe to share. I double-checked to make sure that it wasn't so healthy that most of y'all wouldn't make it. =) And it sounds like its one of those that can be more healthy, or less healthy, depending on the options you use (ie. sweetener, etc) So all should be pleased! =) Happy cooking!
Hi!  Allison here......cooking is one of my greatest delights in life, and I'm thrilled to share one of my new favorite recipes with ya'll.  I found the original recipe here, via Pinterest, and changed it to my liking.:) 
  
So, I made these granola bars a few days ago to send with the brothers to snack on while they're working in the fields far away from my kitchen.  {side note: it is weird to me to be cooking for only ten people these days.  I cannot wait for the brothers to come home tomorrow night.  I'm already planning some of their favorite foods to make over the weekend while they're home.}

{No-Bake Granola Bars}
Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut oil (or butter)
1/4 cup sucanut (or brown sugar)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter (I use Smuckers or my home-made peanut butter)
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups oats
2 cups puffed rice (I crumbled up some plain rice cakes from Central Discount, but you could use rice crispies or something like that, too.)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chocolate chips
How to do it:
Put the oil, sweeteners, and peanut butter in a kettle.  Melt on medium heat.  Once bubbling, grab a whisk and stir for about 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour into a bowl (or leave in kettle if it's big enough:) and add all other ingredients except chocolate chips.  Dump into a 9x13 pan.  Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.  Using a spatula (or fork, or your clean hands, or all three!), press down all over till well-pressed into the pan (ok, this is sounding weird, but you're getting the picture, right?).  Pop in the refrigerator for a couple hours.  Pull it out and cut into bars.  I like to cut long ones, kinda the shape of store-bought granola bars.  I wrapped them individually in saran wrap, so they're easy to grab, put in a lunch box, and later consume.  You could just throw em in a container, too.  Store in the fridge.  And, I have no clue how long they keep!  I made a batch early in the week and today we finished them off, so I made two pans this time, which probably won't even last a week.:)  
[ all the wet ingredients]
 [stirring]
 [the bubbling mixture]
 [mixing it all together]
 [ready to go in the pan]
 [pressing it in]
 //////////////////////////////////////////////
thanks so much for sharing, sista! 
I'm sure all you blog readers want to hear more from her at a future date, right? =) Show her some love in the comment box, please!

Y'all have a blessed weekend!
-chels

35 comments:

  1. That sound delicious!! I'll have to store that away for when we need a quick treat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. These sound delicious. I've wanted to find a good, healthy granola bar recipe for some time, but hadn't really searched for one yet. I'll definitely be trying this one out with some personal tweaks. Thanks, Allison! And yes, we are looking forward to hearing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good.:) I really enjoy cooking so I am looking forward to trying your recipe!:)
    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! Will have to try it. I would love to her more from her, especially about fashion and style and your convictions about that :)) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds lovely, Allison. :) Definitely will try it sometime in the future. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound similar to ones i've made before but mine didn't have any puffed rice. Where do you guys buy your puffed rice? I haven't made granola bars in a long time and have been craving then the last few days. Maybe I will have to try Allisons they look amazing!

    Have a great weekend!
    ♥Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Alli go in and add that to the post this morning. =) So...she gets puffed rice by crumbling up rice cakes (you can get rice cakes at Walmart or Central Discount)

      Delete
  7. wow! those look Amazing!...!!! and btw I loove how she did her hair, it is so cute!! tell her hi! :) -sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a great recipe. Thank you, Allison, for sharing. However, I don't think you should encourage people to use their actual HANDS for pressing it into the pan, even if they are clean. One should always use a spatula or spoon, not your fingers, which can still be carrying germs even if you wash them with hot water and soap. There are plastic gloves for kitchen work that you can purchase, and would be much more sanitary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welll...if we wore plastic gloves every time we were working in the kitchen we'd be buying dozens and dozens every day.=)
      Besides, living on a farm we are exposed to germs of all kinds every day and we hardly ever get sick. So I think we're okay. =)

      Delete
  9. That looks super delicious!!! We would love to come for a visit and enjoy your amazing cooking Allison!!! We think of you often=) Joanna Loewen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know you're invited....you really just need to come! its not that far..=) miss you all!

      Delete
  10. Sounds yummy. :)

    I have to say Chels, you seem like Alli's biggest fan! You brag on her a lot. ;)

    Please tell her that I love her hair. Would love a tutorial someday... *hint, hint*

    Love ya, girl!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I think I am her biggest fan. =)
      I will pass that compliment on to her. And I'm hoping to get her doing a tutorial on here soon! May have to wait til I get my new camera that has video on it!! And then I could do a "real" video tutorial! So hopefully soon!

      Delete
    2. Oh, yay! Lookin forward to it!

      Delete
  11. Thanks, Allison! Just seeing the pictures is making my mouth water! I am going to make these this upcoming week for my family! I'm sure they will be devoured!
    Mind if I share this recipe with others I know, or would you rather me just redirect people to this post?
    Blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome to share it with anyone you like!

      Delete
  12. Love it! I think I am going to make some right now =) Wish I had such an inspiring sis as you, Allison.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look and sound great! I'll have to try them.
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am definitly going to make these sometime,hopefully soon.Thank you for posting the
    recipie. I am sure it tastes great,
    even with honey in it. I have
    made things before and put honey as a substitute for sugar. Love in Christ, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to go, Allison!! Healthy snack and looking super delicious...mmm. Thank-you for the recipe. I'm going to put that on my to-do-list. Miss you all :)
    Priscilla Gerber

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I wish I could cook like Allison! :) Please, will you two do a hair tutorial? :) I can't wait to hear about Allison's fashion advice.My sister and I love your blog! Thank you for all you share on here!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great sounding recipe, I like how adjustable it is (health and ingredient wise). Thanks for sharing girlie, I think this is going in my recipe box! ;)
    P.S. I think it is very sweet and considerate that you helped your brother by preparing foods that fit into his special diets. What an awesome way to bless others :)
    ~Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just a comment for Allison...could she PLEASE start her own blog and share her cooking tips and ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with "anonymous" ...start a blog Allison! I would loooove that!(: I noticed that somebody printed this recipe out and it is laying on the counter! Yeah!!! They look delicious! Love you allot! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  20. From the creations I've tasted, I'll definitely second that she's one of the best cooks ever. =) The recipe looks awesome and I'm excited to try it. And, um, I think you already know this, but {YES} more guest posts from Allison sounds wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank so much Allison!!! If you had a blog I'd follow it in a minute! I know you must have a lot of cooking tips and experiences to share seeing that you cook for so many people on day-to-day basis :) Loved the post y'all! Thank you!!! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will have to try these sometime soon. They sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome! I have yet to try it. Hey, do you like quinoa? I'm in the business. I'd offer to sell you some but you live too far away........https://www.facebook.com/QuinoaMore I don't have a webpage yet, but here's my Facebook page. It's good to at least learn about it, especially if one of your brothers has health issues and needs a special diet. God bless both you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my! Those look amazing!! I think we might just have to make a batch!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Also, please do continue to put Allison on here! I love getting new recipes, and I'd imagine with that many tasters to please that your recipes are tried and true!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I made up a batch and we loved them! I added cornchex and crasins for fun :) Definitely will be making them again.
    Rachel
    (Elizabeth Weller's little sister)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Godly-young-widow!
    Yes, I love quinoa! My favorite ways to eat it are as salad (with lemon juice, tomatoes, and such) and in a Quinoa Chocolate Cake.
    blessings,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been making this recipe ever since you posted it - thanks so much, it's yum! I leave out the coconut (not a fan) and add lots of dried fruit and pumpkin seeds, or whatever happens to be hanging around the pantry and fridge. It's much more filling than the bought muesli bars I was having on my way to work, plus I can control the amount of sugar etc in it (I don't make it with choc bits anymore, since it's breakfast!) so it's well worth the effort to make it. I've had a few people ask me for the recipe too.
    Thanks again,
    A reader in Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm so glad that you have been enjoying this recipe! That is awesome that you've tried different variations!
      Thanks for commenting!
      -Chels

      Delete

Comments containing profanity and/or hateful language will not be published.