Saturday, February 8, 2014

Is Something Stealing Your Joy?


Joy. I love that word. Joy is such a beautiful thing. It is such a perfect reflection of Jesus, I think, because it is so what He is about! To bring joy to our lives, most importantly through salvation, and then as we grow in our walk with Him.

Back in this post I mentioned about how the Lord had been working in my heart so greatly through the preaching at my church. I also promised that I'd be back to expound on that in several posts after we'd left on our tour. 
Finally, here is the first one, about a message entitled "Joy Killers". 

My pastor preached this message back in November of last year, at a time when my joy was, to be honest, very much lacking. I found myself discouraged and oh-so busy with so much. I felt mentally and physically overwhelmed and overloaded, and my joy bucket was running dry. 
God was so faithful to bring this message into my life on the very night I needed it most. 

I had gotten the message on cd so I pulled it out the other day and listened to it again as a "refresher" course, and also to jot down some notes to share here. 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Message Title:
JOY KILLERS
{my personal additions are in italics}

The word JOY is mentioned 155 times in the Bible.

"And Nehemiah, which is the Tirshatha, and Ezra the priest the scribe, and the Levites that taught the people, said unto all the people, This day is holy unto the Lord your God; mourn not, nor weep. For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the law. Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the JOY OF THE LORD IS YOUR STRENGTH."
Nehemiah 8:9&10

Christians should be the ones modeling joy, because God has designed the Christian life to be an abundant life!
"He is come that we might have life, and life abundant."

People often use the phrase  “_______ takes my joy”, but Jesus says that NO MAN can take our joy from us. 
If joy is given by a man or by an earthly circumstance, than it can be TAKEN by a man or earthly circumstance. {think about that! so true!} 

True joy is only given by God. If God is our joy and our world, than our joy will not be taken from us when we go through difficult circumstances. 

SEVEN THINGS THAT WILL STEAL/KILL YOUR JOY
1. a lack of devotional life
2. an unthankful spirit
3. dreaming outside of the will of God
4. comparing yourself with others
5. impure thoughts
6. unresolved conflict
7. failed relationships

I challenge you to look through that list of seven and ask the Lord "are any of these seven true in my life? Am I allowing my joy to be taken away and replaced by sin?" 

For myself, when I first heard this message, the Lord used it to immediately convict me about numbers one, two, and six. My devotional life had been majorly struggling, I was giving in to the spirit of unthankfulness, and unresolved conflict was what half of my trouble was about in the first place. 

People read our (my family & I's) blogs and tell us, "from everything that you say about your church, it sounds like a pretty amazing place." I can only nod in agreement because it is! 

But this is the thing-it isn't amazing because it is full of perfect people, or because our pastor is perfect, because we all know that nobody is perfect. We are all sinners, and we can't do anything amazing on our own strength. 
No, the reason it is such an amazing place is because, quite simply, God's Word is #1. 
God's Word is the base. It is the foundation. The messages preached are founded on and based right out of the Bible. I personally think the reason a lot of teaching and preaching is so unbiblical these days is because people are turning to books and websites and movements and organizations for the answers, instead of finding it all in the Word of God.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

 But that's all more for another time. There's so much to say about just that last line above (and believe me, I will put it all into words and say it on here one of these days!) but I will save it for later. 

I have an extra cd of the whole message, "Joy Killers", that I would love to "gift" to one of you readers. If you're interested, just leave a comment with your first and last name and I will draw a winner on Monday.

Also I would love to hear other thoughts on this, or how the Lord may have convicted you in reading through those seven points. Take a minute to share in the comment box!

I apologize for the rambling-I felt like I needed to post this today and I don't have time to comb over everything and say it as eloquently as I would like. (got a concert coming up in just a bit here!) Hopefully the Lord can use this to bless someone anyhow!

have a blessed weekend!
-chels

25 comments:

  1. Oh Chelsy!
    I wish I had time to tell you how much the Lord has used to to encourage me!
    But I will say one thing very quickly - you inspire me!! Totally! You inspire me in every area of my life! And most of all, to love Jesus, my Lord and Savior, more!
    Thank you Chelsy!
    A sis in CA,
    Sarah E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would looooove to hear that message!(: I KNOW he is a super powerful preacher!(: my name is...LIZZIE!(=

    ReplyDelete
  3. "People are turning to books and websites and movements and organizations for the answers, instead of finding it all in the Word of God." SO true!

    I think number 3 is my biggest joy-killer out of the list. Thanks for sharing, Chels. Love your zeal for the Kingdom! Hope to hear from you sometime soon. :)
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you Chelsy, this is what I needed to hear--The Lord has used your rambling to challenge and bless me!!=)
    ~Priscilla Gerber

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need this so much!! Thank you!!! Number one is a huge struggle for me right now. You'd think it wouldn't be as a Sunday school teacher, church pianist, ministry assistant and all of that...but I'm struggling! Thank you for this timely post. I need the Lord in this area...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved meeting you tonight!!! So much fun to hear yall sing together! I imagine you can get a little weary with so much travel. Keeping yall in my prayers. Praying you will find much "joy" even on the hard days! I keep a thankful journal. (You probably know what Im talking about. The idea from the "One Thousand Gifts" book by Ann Voskamp) I notice a big difference in my perspective on life when I find joy in the little every day things and record them compared to when I don't choose to notice or record them. Great post! Looking forward to hearing more! I would love to be in your drawing. ~Laura Kaye Woolington

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Chels, thanks so much for sharing this. I think I really needed that. It never ceases to amaze me how God knows exactly what we need and exactly when we need it and He never fails to supply it. We serve an awesome God! By the way, you can definitely count me in that drawing. Just out of curiosity though, does your church post sermons on iTunes? God bless!
    ~AbbyJoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Chelsy, I would love to get this :) My name is Dina Pavkovic. This post is so inspiring (as many are, here on your blog!) and the seven joy killers so true! I also struggle with number one the most, but all the others numbers as well. I will have to work on that. Thank you very much for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks so much for sharing. very good. -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, I really enjoyed reading it. I do have a couple questions though. 1. Is your pastor on sermonaudio.com? 2. What is meant by "dreaming outside the will of God?" I think it's obvious that we shouldn't dream about sinning, but is that the only way we can dream outside the will of God? Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to have this. I think for me 1,4,and 7. Thanks for your honesty to share. Love your blog
    Jodi Boyle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm definitely going to write that list of joy killers down so I can keep myself in check. I find most often that a lack of thankfulness for what I have been given is the thief of my joy. My prayer this year is that I can truly delight in the Lord no matter the circumstance!
    And I love what you said about your church! When the 'church' is made up of willing bodies that allow His Spirit to work and His name to be proclaimed... well that is truly a beautiful place to be! This morning I had tears in my eyes while at church thinking about how His name was being lifted high by the truth being proclaimed!
    I am so thankful you allow the Lord to use you to bring your readers these encouraging messages Chelsy!
    Kayla Hackelberg

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would say 1,4,and 7. Thanks for sharing. Been working on number 1 now for the rest. Jodi Boyle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to hear the message.
    Marie M.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Chelsy,
    I would like to win the cd. Who preached the message "Joy Killers?"
    love in Christ,
    Ashley S. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank-you so much for the post! Very challenging and meaningful! The # 1 joy-killer is the one that convicted me the most...Thank you again for the timely reminder!
    Blessings, Joanna Loewen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this post....how true it is. Jenny S.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That's so cool you posted about this because joy is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I know that the gospel is all about joy, but so often I just feel like I don't have any. This was really helpful and makes a lot of sense. I hope tour is going well!
    Jessica Grove

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am really struggling with joy and find myself so angry with God over all that is happen in my life right now. Taking my hurt and anger out on those I love by isolating myself from everything. In the past six weeks we have had to put our precocious older dog down. Then my husband tripped and broke his right hip and had hipreplacement surgery. Followed one week later by a slip in the drug store breaking hid femur in 26 places. Followed by the death of his mother. I truly believe God has forgotten about us. I wait with baited breath for what happens next for surely he isn't done punishing us yet. I would love to hear this sermon, but so do not feel worthy of Gods love for me. He has made it clear I am not worthy of him I don't know what to do anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God has not forgotten about you! That is the devil trying to make you believe that! Hard as it may seem, Jesus has a plan in everything, no matter how difficult.
      Cry out to Him for strength and never forget that He absolutely DOES love and care for you!

      Delete
  20. Thank you Chelsy for sharing those very important truths about joy! Several of those seven points immediately stood out to me! Its such an important fruit of the Spirit and who is attracted to a Christianity that is dull and lifeless?! Thank you again!! Gives me something to ponder today! Blessings, Esther

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would love to get the CD!
    Rebecca Larson

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, Joy is something the Lord has been working on my heart about lately. Keeping a smiling heart filled with joy even when everything around me is a swirling tornado of emotions, conflict and problems. Thanks for sharing. Would love to hear your pastors sermon on the topic.
    Barrie Greenfield
    from Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sometimes it feels like God doesn't love us anymore.. It is hard to always remain joyful. I'm struggling with that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for sharing so openly Chelsy. It is very encouraging and takes the "sting" of shame out of admitting my own short comings. I often find myself "pageant facing". Inside, I have been in so much conflict. More and more I have had to purpose to choose joy. (Read last sentence as: You can often find me singing the Joy of the Lord while going about my day).
    May your cup (or "bucket") run over!
    Love,
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing profanity and/or hateful language will not be published.