Monday, March 10, 2014

San Antonio Bound

Today I am spending the day at four different airports, flying in three different planes, and going from a very cold state to a very warm and sunny one!

Harrisburg PA. To Philly PA. To Charolotte NC. To San Antonio TX.

I'll take you back ??? years, to the first time I ever heard Vision Forum's San Antonio Christian Film Festival. My very first thought was "how cool is that? A place where hundreds of people come together and learn how to make movies, and then screen all these new Christian films!"
But every year we were at the other end of the south touring over the time that this event was going on, and so it never was really an option for me to attend.
When Vision Forum shut down last fall they also cancelled all of their upcoming conferences and events, including the Film Festival. My first thought when I hear that they had shut it down was "what about all those people who spend their year last year getting a film ready to compete in the festival? What happens to their films now?"
I was beyond excited when I heard that our good friends the Telfer Family (from Media Talk 101) were going to start up their own festival, the Christian Worldview Film Festival. The Telfers called our family and asked us to come down and perform on the mainstage for the festival, but sadly we already had this coming week booked doing banquet concerts with the WeCare Program Fundraising Tour. I tried to think of a way to still go but it just wasn't possible so I tried to forget about it.
Fast forward to my birthday...my father gave me a card and inside was a certificate to attend the festival. I was shocked! And so excited!
(it appears that he talked to my brothers and they said that they could wing a few concerts without me. =) yes, I know-I have sweet brothers! bless their hearts.)

Everyone who knows me well knows that I am a movie junkie. Not in the typical sense (I don't sit around and watch tons of movies) but I love to review new movies, and be critical, and tear them to pieces. =)  (both theologically and morally)
It drives me crazy that our society has such low standards when it comes to movies.
It also frustrates me that Hollywood seems to have the monopoly on "professional" filming. My family loves watching movies together (we rarely do because there is hardly anything decent for the whole family anymore) but there aren't a whole lot of movies out there that are decent AND professionally done.

All that said. I've been passionate for years about Christians standing up and taking back all the ground they've lost to the secular crowd in the area of media. Lets face it: in our generation, media is the way to reach people. There are many people who won't read a book, or listen to a message, but they will watch a movie. Films can have such a powerful influence for evil. Or for good.

Sooo...I'm heading to San Antonio, getting ready here in just a few minutes to board my final flight. I'm planning to take the acting tracks and soak up all the information I can!

-chels

18 comments:

  1. Awesome opportunity!!!

    So happy for you, Chels!
    Can't wait to hear all about it. :)
    Be safe, and HAVE A GREAT TIME!
    Love you!
    ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun!!! I totally agree about there not being a lot of decent films for the whole family now. So sad.
    I hope you will tell us about all the fun you have.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh that sounds like a lot of fun! By the way I live near Charlotte so it's to bad you and your family aren't singing there:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. John-Clay is teaching there, and our family is coming down on Saturday for the awards ceremony, see ya there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun stuff Chelsy!! Not that I'm bias or anything... but there is going to be some really fun speakers.
    John-Clay Burnett comes highly recommended to go listen to.....advice from this sister anyway!! =P (sorry couldn't help but brag a little)
    Hope you have a great time, and if you are there on Sat.- I assume you will be- our family will see you then!
    BTW, I don't think either of the dates you sent me are going to work out. =( *sigh* Life of the busy Burnetts.
    Someday......someday, we are going to make it up there! Have a wonderfulistic time in San An-tone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I'm sure you highly recommend him. =) your comment is said like a true loving sister. =)
      YAY that you're going to be here on Saturday!! looking forward to seeing y'all again!
      that's a bummer that those dates won't work. =( well, we can talk Saturday and maybe come up with something else!

      Delete
  6. Amen....Way to go Chels- I'll be praying for you=)
    ~Priscilla Gerber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That must be a lot of fun flying from the cold to the hot weather! I have just been having a big email conversation with a friend about how should a Christian choose which movies to watch. e.g. what makes a movie good/bad! Do you have any good books to recommend on the topic?

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of any at the moment...but will let you know if I do!

      Delete
  8. Hi Chelsy,
    I'm so happy for you. Are you flying by yourself? Have a fun time and be safe!! :)
    Love Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to go to that. Maybe one day! :) have fun chels!
    P.s. Your family needs to come to ne ohio so I can see you and alli again!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were in Harrisburg PA?? That's really close to where i live!! What were u there for?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go girl! So happy for you! What kind brothers and family you have. Are you flying by yourself? Have a good time and enjoy yourself! Merry from eachlittlebird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited for you! have a great time!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad someone is taking the place of the film festival! Please let us know how you like it. I'm really hoping that I can go someday. So glad you could go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm, we were at the Harrisburg airport the same day... flew out at 4:27 pm. Sounds like a really neat festival!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing profanity and/or hateful language will not be published.