Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Blessings & Prayer || Conference Recaps

In the past three weeks, I've attended a youth conference and a family conference, plus heard several very convicting messages at my church.
First I just have to say that I am so thankful and so blessed to have the opportunity to be so constantly exposed to such dynamic messages. It is the biggest privilege in the world and I am so often guilty of taking it for granted. But today I'm taking time to thank Jesus for that blessing, because I talk to so many people who don't have it, and I realize more and more what a treasure it really is.

Often after listening to various messages, I go to my siblings afterwards and ask to copy from their notes, since it seems that in most services I'm either shooting pictures or holding babies. =)}

Its really hard for me to know where to start and stop, to know what to share here, because there has been SO MUCH, honestly.

Probably the biggest thing that I took away from the youth conference was the above paragraph, just about how blessed I am. The speaker who spoke on the last night talked about his life story. Without going into a lot of detail...his upbringing was pretty much as opposite from mine as is possible. During his message he challenged the audience to be thankful for their godly families, for parents who love the Lord, for siblings who are following Jesus. 
This may seem like a very simple, small thing to take from a message, but God just hit me with it. And I thought I had cause for complaining because my family doesn't....always communicate well? Seriously, my problems are so small compared to what this man went through in his family. I am SO extremely blessed. And I need to thank Jesus everyday for those blessings, for all that I have!

At the family conference I got to hear two of my all-time favorite speakers, Tom Harmon and David Gibbs. These men are just so full of Jesus that I feel like their joy rubs off on me whenever I hear them, and I always go away from their messages inspired to do more for the KINGDOM!

Once again I didn't take notes cause there was only one session in which I wasn't holding a baby. =) But my sister kindly let me borrow her notes so I can share the points with y'all here, since even though I'm pretty sure that message will be with me for life, I couldn't remember all of the nitty gritty details without looking over the notes.

FOUR KEYS TO PRAYER
1) You Must Pray!
-don't get comfortable asking for so little. 
-God is a BIG God. 
-every failure in a Christian's life is a prayer failure.

2) Pray Earnestly
-"the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much"
-we can fool people, but not God.
-he who prays without fervency, prays not at all. fervency is the SOUL of prayer.
-do you put your HEART into your prayers?
-prayer is walking into the throne room of God and talking to Him.

3) Be Clean
-"Search me, O God, and see if there be any wicked way in me"
-ask the Lord to turn heaven's searchlight on you

4) Persist
-what have you quit praying for?
-God wants you to have FAITH and persist in praying!
another thing about the family conference that was SO.GOOD was that this year God really impressed on my heart the need for more encouragement, and follow up, and accountability. It is so easy to go to a conference, and listen to great teaching, and get all excited....and then go home and get busy with life and never apply the truth you've learned! 
this is something our family had been talking about with some friends and I was really determined that this year was going to be different. So at the conference I was much more intentional about being relaxed with my time and having more one-on-one conversations. Instead of pushing to attend all of the sessions, I attended some...and spent quite a bit of the rest of my time in conversation with various people, talking about what God had been teaching/showing us through the sessions, and sharing prayer requests and what God was doing in our lives. 
It was so enriching. I had conversations that I probably wouldn't have had otherwise if I hadn't been encouraged to be intentional about it. 
The above picture was taken one afternoon when my sis and two dear friends of ours went out for coffee together. We talked nonstop and it was the biggest encouragement. so thankful for women like them that God has placed in my life to push me upwards! 
Another friend of our family's who spoke at the conference has really been an example to our family in the area of encouraging and godly accountability with other Christians. It had been something I had been thinking about for awhile and his session really sent my wheels spinning about how I could be more intentional in mentoring and doing accountability with more people.
Since the conference, the four of us girls (above) have started an email loop to keep each other accountable and pray for each other in a variety of areas. We send out prayer requests and updates on how we're doing. It has been so.good. I would highly encourage others to try something like this! There's nothing quite like explaining a struggle or weakness you have with someone, and then having them pray for you and ask how you're doing! It has been a huge blessing already to me, and we've only been doing it for a week. I'm excited to see how God will grow and use it in the future as well.
I got to hang out quite a bit with this little man at the conference. what a dearie he is!
 I was so wanting to take him home with me. =)
I will close with a few last thoughts from another message.
IF YOU WANT YOUR FAITH TO INCREASE
1) You must hear the VOICE
-you hear the voice 1) from the Word 2) from God's servants 3) From God's Spirit

2) You must have the VENTURE
-don't ever get to the place where you're not "faithing it". 
-what has God called you, by faith, to step out and do?
-faith is the capital that spends with God.

3) You must have the VALUE
-what you value is where you spend your life. it determines your priorities.
-what you value will govern the whole course of your life.
-value faith above EVERYTHING.
-"without faith, it is impossible to please God"

And then just this past Sunday I heard two more incredible messages at our church by two guest speakers. But I'm not going to go into recapping those here because its already a pretty full post, and I need to be moving along. =) Suffice to say that I am so grateful for these learning times and all the truth that God is giving. 

Be blessed! I hope there is something here that touches your heart like it did mine!
-Chels

29 comments:

  1. Those were so good! Especially the one on prayer... I don't usually comment on blog posts but I wanted to say thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get comfortable asking for so little....we can be so guilty of that. Our Sunday School class was talking about how we ask God for something and then we are shocked if He actually answers that prayer! Oh that He would give us faith to ask for big things, knowing that God delights in answering the prayers of His children!

    Thanks for your blog--I really appreciate it.
    Keri

    www.storiesbykerinicole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome! thanks for your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. oh man, so good Chels. thanks for sharing...def needed to hear this tonight. Especially the reminder of just how blessed we are and totally take it for granted.

    also, can you and alli get any more gorgeous?! jeepers. love that first photo.

    xo - H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bless your heart. you are too kind. =)

      Delete
  4. Needed to hear this so badly!!! Thank you for sharing Chelsy and being such a blessing.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and by the way I haven't forgotten about your email...sorry for the delay in answering! Its on my list to do that today!

      Delete
  5. I really needed this today!!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ~Hannah

    www.lovehannahb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome! so glad it encouraged you!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much Chelsy for sharing that. I was blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chelsy,
    Thank you for sharing this! What a humble attitude expressed through each of your words and such an evident desire to grow in the Lord through encouraging others. The Lord is continually blessing you and it is exciting to see how He will use you for His edification!
    Praying for you today,
    Glory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girl! missed not seeing you at Big Sandy! =(

      Delete
  9. Was that the ATI conference? Our family is in ATI, and we usually go to the Sacramento one. Do you ever go there?! I'm sure there are plenty of babies...lol!

    Was the "Four Keys to Prayer" by Tom Harmon? It totally sounds like him =D He is a VERY inspiring speaker to say the least!

    God Bless,
    ~Tiffani =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was the ATI conference, and yes it was the Four Keys to Prayer by Tom Harmon! I love listening to him-always learn so much!
      No, I've never been to the Sacramento conference before. Do you live in California then?
      -Chels

      Delete
    2. Yes we do live in CA. You should totally come to the Sacramento conference!!! I would love Love LOVE to meet you in person!!!
      Blessings,
      ~Tiffani =D

      Delete
  10. A-mazing,- thank you for sharing Chelsy!! Definetly needed to hear this...I was blessed and challenged=)
    Quick question--is the one speaker, David Gibbs, the same as on law talk live?
    Priscilla~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is his son (his name is also David Gibbs) who does the law talk live. Do y'all listen to it? Our pastor told us about it and it sounds like really good!

      Delete
    2. Thank-you. Okay that's awesome! Yup, my brother listens to him...he really likes the radio program!!

      Delete
  11. Yes, we are truly so blessed. With the families we have been placed in and access to the Bible, incredible teaching, and literally zillions of resources at our fingertips. I'm always convicted when I hear stories about what others go through to obtain copies of the Bible or their willingness to sit for hours just to have the privilege of hearing the Word of God being preached. We really have no excuse!

    Those keys to prayer are especially convicting. Thanks, as always, for taking the time to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true!
      thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  12. Would you or your sister consider an all-about-make-up post? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I will keep that in mind and try to do it sometime soon!

      Delete
  13. I have a question regarding this statement:every failure in a Christian's life is a prayer failure.

    Now is this referring to someone who makes a decision without praying about it and it fails or is it referring to all failures in a Christian's life? And I guess we have to define failure. Sometimes God says no to our prayers.

    Very thought provoking post.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the speaker meant that whenever we have failure in our life (personal failure, i.e. discouragement, sin, etc) it comes because we are not in tune with the Lord and spending regular time in prayer. At least that is what I took it to mean.
      Thanks for asking to clarify!

      Delete
  14. Hey Chelsy, I came across this post a little late because my family was doing a media turnoff for a little while. Anyway, it's so cool, because there's been a lot going on lately, (not all good things), and my faith has been tested. The Lord led me to this right when I needed to hear such a message. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I will, (hopefully), be sending you an email soon with a little more detail. Anyway, just wanted to say this post was a big blessing. Love ya!
    -AbbyJoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it encouraged you, Abby! Looking forward to hearing from you...miss you guys!

      Delete

Comments containing profanity and/or hateful language will not be published.