Monday, May 19, 2014

Fashion || Country Style in White, Brown, & Olive

A little modesty tip here: 
-make yourself think outside of the box.
This dress was a strapless dress with a matching fabric belt. When I saw it hanging on the rack at a garage sale, my first thought was "Ah, I LOVE the texture of that fabric. So gorgeous!"
My second thought "WHY does it have to be strapless? There's no way that thing would stay up!" =)
Third thought "hmmm...wonder if I could fix that?"
I bought the dress.
Once I got home I took the fabric belt, cut it in half, made two straps, and sewed them in.

Now I just add a cardigan, and it is perfect. I don't have to worry about the neckline sliding down because the straps keep it tight and in place. 
Boots: Ross, $35 
White Sundress: garage sale, $5
Cardigan: Consignment, $6
Belt: Thrifted, ?
Necklace: Made by my sister, bartered 
(I sew things for her, she makes jewelry for me =))
just a little advertisement for her here-her jewelry is amazing! 
she wrote the word "dream" out on paper, and then made the necklace with that. 
Its so personalized and I love that.
I'm definitely no fashion expert. But I do love studying and researching colors and style personalities and all that. Remember, how we are dressed is often the first thing people notice about us. And we only have one chance to make a first impression for Jesus!

The most important thing of all, though, is that we always have our heart and motives in the right place. Our Sunday School lesson at church yesterday was partially about this (heart + motives) and I was very convicted once again-it is so easy to pat ourselves on the back and say "oh, well I dress modestly" and have a heart full of pride and judgement towards others who don't dress just like we think they should. Having that kind of attitude is completely missing the point and heart of modesty. Modesty is supposed to be a reflection of a heart that is in the right place, wanting to please the Lord and dress in a way that will honor and glorify Him. If our heart is in the right place, everything else will fall in with that. 

At the same time, we've all heard people say, "well, man looks on the outside, and the Lord looks on the HEART." ("For man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart". Samuel 16:7b) When people use that verse to justify their opinion that the Lord doesn't care how we dress, they completely miss the point. Yes, the Lord does look on the heart, and man does look on the outside! But... the heart is reflected on the outside. So essentially, the only way for man to see what is in our heart, is what they see reflected on the outside by our dress and actions. Sobering, isn't it? But so true. 

"Keep thy heart with ALL DILIGENCE, for out of it are the issues of life." Proverbs 4:23


Have a marvelous monday!
-Chels

14 comments:

  1. Oo, this is super cute, Chelsy! I love how you added sleeves! Neat idea. Thanks for the tips.Yes! How we dress + act does define who we are on the inside! Thanks for sharing that!
    ~Tashia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Chelsy! The heart and motive is what we need to keep in check! I know. It can be very easy to judge others who don't dress like we do. Let's do our best to be a loving, shining example to them, and let them see the joy in us when we choose to dress differently to honor the Lord.
    Amen also to the fact that the outside is a reflection of the inside!

    BTW, the colors suit you. Thanks for sharing.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luv it, Chels. Very cute outfit -- it suits you well. I also love how you repurposed it. Quite resourceful. I need to figure out how to sew, so I can do little things like that. :)

    Also, regarding the last few paragraphs: I couldn't agree more! My thoughts exactly. Well said, girl. And so true!
    Who and what we are within will *always* show without, and it's so important to keep up a pure heart {with His strength, of course} that will then shine thru our outward appearance. At the same time, learning to clothe and present ourselves outwardly that clearly portrays the inward self is an art-form that takes practice and learning.

    Great post, girl!
    Love ya!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post. Fashion types and tricks from a fellow-thrifter as well as someone who values modesty is refreshing. Keep these posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Chels!! This is so perfect because the way you worded that verse is exactly how I look at it and I think alot of people need to hear this perspective more!

    Great idea for the dress! We are always looking for ways to remake things to be more modest and flattering!

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post. :) That's such a pretty outfit and you look awesome in it. Thanks for sharing this, Chelsy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, Chelsy - always am super inspired by how you piece together your lovely outfits and your refashioning projects. :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a gorgeous woman--inside and out! Your dress and cardigan is lovely!
    On a side note...Would you ever think about coming to the Sacramento ATI Conference? I would LOVE it if you could!!! Ever since I found your blog, I have wanted to meet you--and Ali =D That would be awesome if you could make it... ;)
    Blessings,
    ~Tiffani =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! And I love how you represent Jesus and modesty - making it the most attractive! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this outfit!!! Finding modest dresses is getting harder and harder, and I've had to be creative like this too! =D

    lovehannahb.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and i forgot to mention that I LOVE the necklace!!!!! Love how its personalized and vintage looking!!! <3 She doesn't happen to sell them does she?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Great modesty tip and explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chelsy! I've just discovered your blog and love it! This is such a pretty outfit, love the color combo. I've enjoyed poking around your blog and hope you will come check mine out and follow!

    In Christ,
    ~Sarah~

    http://allthingsvintage-sc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Chelsy,

    Does your sister sell any jewelry? Will you or your family be in Louisiana any time soon? Our state stinks. There is barley ANY homeschoolers, our homeschooler conventions stink. People think we are weird because we dress decent, don't cuss, and don't date. And nobody comes here! Tim Hawkins, Kari Jobe, and Red Roots (last two Christian groups I like) nobody comes here. I have family in Texas and everything is there and its horrible. We feel left out in the cold. It seems we are the only state like this and it stinks. Will you be coming? Please say yes! Desperate in La.

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing profanity and/or hateful language will not be published.