Monday, October 13, 2014

Seeing Beyond Myself

Life is really all about a bigger perspective, friends. It's taking me a while to learn this-some days I feel like I'm failing the lessons left and right. God keeps sending them though; plenty of opportunities here to pick myself up and try again!

It was last Wednesday afternoon. I had been through a rough two days with the whole blog deal. I had a headache and just wanted to stay home and go to bed. But I knew I had to go; I had this nudge inside that told me that I was supposed to be there and that God had something just for me.
So I went.

My pastor preached a sermon based on Jonah 1:4&5:
"But the Lord sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken. Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep."

The point of the sermon was this: are we, as Christians, "asleep" while the storms of life rage on around us? This could be applied to many different areas of life, but as soon as he read the text and gave the sermon title I knew right away what my storm was, and that this message was for me.

I didn't take any notes. I just sat there and let the conviction soak in deep.

I am guilty so often of sleeping during the storm. 
Becoming complacent with where I am in life.
Forgetting to see beyond myself. 

The thing that really hit me hard was realizing my tendency to get all wrapped up in the problems in my world, and forgetting to SEE BEYOND MYSELF. I become like Jonah-fast asleep in the bottom of the boat, oblivious to the cries of the mariners above him. (they weren't just any cries, either-they were the cries of men who were desperate; men who were drowning!)

In my life, there are people all around me who are crying. Maybe not literal tears. But people who are crying inwardly. Aching. Full of pain and trials and sorrow. Hurting, maybe just like me, but very possibly a whole lot worse. 

What am I doing for them? Am I so burdened and wrapped up in myself that I can't see the need beyond? Digging deep into my heart that night, I found that I was Jonah. I found that I was asleep; that I was focused on what I was going through, and not on the needs of those around me. 

I am so thankful for God's Word and those that are faithful to preach it. There are truly scriptures that apply to every situation in life...even in the life of Jonah!


Thank-you all for your patience as I share what the Lord is teaching me here! 
Be blessed!
-Chels

16 comments:

  1. So encouraging, Chelsy!
    Thank you for sharing! I can definitely have a tendency to be that way as well and this has convicted me to be more like Christ, Who thought only of others and not Himself! So thankful that I have a Savior Who is willing to look beyond my faults and lead me in the right way to serve Him.
    Thank you for putting this 'servant attitude' and a desire to be far away from selfishness in me today!
    -Glory

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, thanks for sharing your heart and being so real. definitely needed this reminder today!! love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Chelsy, so much for sharing. God used your words to speak to me and bless me this morning. It really encourages me every time I hear of when others struggle, too. At times I look at myself and feel as if I am the only one in the world who suffers. Then some one shares their heart's struggle with me. Or I see the woman at church, loosing her hair because of cancer, or my friend who has to be in a wheel chair and I think, "My 'problems' are so little." Then when I take the focus off myself, or as you said, see beyond myself and my woes, and serve at our church's food pantry and the nursing home visits, and serve my mom who's having a rough pregnancy and on the couch most days, and see the humbling faith of others, I feel like my problems aren't at all that big. I feel like when my heart is focused on serving and off myself and I feel the joy of Jesus inexpressible, and my 'problems' fade away.
    Thank you, again, Chelsy for sharing, and mentoring like an older sister in the Lord. God bless you!
    ~ Morgan Psalm 34

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Chels!!! Very thought-provoking!
    ~Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all so true... Thank you SO much for the wonderful post. I love the story of Jonah.. I love how God has many little lessons in each story in the Bible.. If you just look at it from all angles you can learn SO many different things. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen -- I so needed this....it def hit home and convicted me. =) thank you for bringing this into my perspective!!
    ~Priscilla G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this Chelsy! It's sad, but so true how wrapped up in our own troubles we can get, that we don't seem to notice how badly those around us are hurting and how we might be able to comfort or help them.Thanks so much for the reminder to see beyond ourselves and look for ways to be helping those around us! Your blog is such an encouragement to me!

    In Christ,
    Sarah Joy F.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just write AMEN! Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! Uh, so true!!! This really applies to my life.. I'm so glad you shared this, just what I needed! So encouraging.. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an absolutely beautiful post Chels (as usual)! I am very often guilty of sleeping through the storm ...... but that's going to change!!!

    Hope to see you soon m'dear friend! =)

    Love ya,
    Ali

    www.alishainprogress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Chelsy! Such a good reminder!
    I was wondering...I really like the song "Cherish the Moment" where did you find the music? I can only fine the words online. I also really like the song about being a missionary. Where did you find the one?
    Our whole family (13 of us) really enjoyed this years Turning Hearts celebration!
    Thanks so much & Have a blessed day!
    Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very true...but don't forget that Jesus slept through the storm too. Sometimes we need to wake up, but sometimes it's okay to rest. God is good enough to give us both times :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. "What am I doing for them? Am I so burdened and wrapped up in myself that I can't see the need beyond?" #convicting Thank you, Chelsy! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah! It's easy to hurt those around us , but even easier to hurt those we have never even met. ignoring the troubles people have because we are too concerned with what we want. I'm just as guilty as anyone else. but the difference is, I reach back out. I don't want silence or shutting myself down tear apart friendships or possible friendships. I do my best not to sleep through the storm when someone may need me or simply need to lean on me. When I learn to see beyond myself, I fix it.
    -Todd

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing profanity and/or hateful language will not be published.