Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cream or Salt: Which are You?

Cream or Salt? I can just hear y'all: "What kind of a post title is THAT?"
Yes, it is just a touch unusual. Stay with me, though. =)

Today I want to talk a little bit about the coffee of life.

I love coffee. And I think that quite a few life applications can be found from coffee.

Two weeks ago on Sunday we had a houseful of company over for dinner. (as is often the case) During dessert, there somehow was a little mixup and a certain Bontrager individual (name not listed to protect the guilty) managed to accidentally fill the sugar bowl with salt instead of sugar. Our kind guests politely choked on their salted coffee. Eventually we caught the mistake and all had a good laugh over it. Yuck though-salted coffee is AWFUl!

The following morning, as I was pouring a cup of coffee, my sister came through the kitchen and informed me that she had just make fresh whipped cream and that there was a full canister in the refrigerator. (!!!!) What a lovely way to start out my Monday---with fresh whipped cream! I loaded up my coffee mug with a heavy layer of cream and felt like a queen as I drank that cup of coffee. =)

As I was sipping it, I pondered.
Cream and salt.
Both simple ingredients.
Two items that are small and insignificant.
And yet they both make such a completely different taste to just one cup of coffee.

Think about it. Salt? It RUINS the coffee.
Cream? Well, its just like the icing on top. Perfection!

Now. In the coffee of life....am I salt? Or am I cream?

Am I sour + unkind? Do I frown more than I smile? Am I constantly upset about things that don't even matter? Do I leave a trail of stress + depression behind me? Is my conversation discouraging to others? Am I focused on the negative in life?

Or am I adding words of sweetness + kindness to every conversation? Am I adding joy + laughter to every experience? Am I a bearer of love + smiles wherever I go? What aura do I carry? What do I "leave" with people?

Just thinking about all this, I've was really convicted that I've been a lot more salt than cream lately. There have been so many moments when I've allowed that "salt" to creep in + ruin the coffee, so to speak. There have been so many times lately when I've been so focused on my own stress + problems that I've let it overflow onto those around me and put out a negative influence.

And I don't want that---I want to be cream. I want to be a giver, not a taker. I want to make a difference + bring beauty into my little areas of influence. I want people to be blessed by the cream, not hurt by the salt.

I'll end with a quote someone sent me in a forward the other day. This touched my heart so much.

"It's not what you gather, but what you SCATTER, that tells the kind of life that you have lived."


Let's choose to scatter cream today, shall we?
-Chels

21 comments:

  1. I love the word mix-up here, Rene! Great post,

    Daughter of the King

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels, Thank you so much for posting! It was just what I needed to hear. I love the coffee analogy=) And, the picture at the top is just beautiful! Did you take it, just curious:)
    Blessings!
    ~Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Chels, and wow, so true too!!! Thank you for that!!! Mmm, now I want coffee! :) -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen...Such a valuable illustration + lesson! I needed this -- thank you for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelsy, This is a wonderful post. But, all throughout the post I thought you might say something about us being the salt of the earth. Salt does have its place for sure and without it we would be bland. But, I will take the cream with my coffee any time over salt! Marinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very true..I didn't even think of that! Thanks for adding!

      Delete
  6. Love this post!! It is so encouraging! Thanks so much for sharing...Now I need to go get some coffee :)
    ~Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one thing I hope blogging helps me to do; become more like cream by learning to seek out and spread the positive and happy things. :) (Everything does come around to coffee, doesn't it? Heehee.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone is a little salt from time to time, but some are rarely ever cream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. Thanks so much for this encouragement, Chels! I needed to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a wonderful post Chelsy!! It really spoke to me! Praying for y'all for the upcoming play this weekend!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing these words, Chelsy! The illustration was super good & convicting - and, yes, Alli's homemade whipped cream is ah-mazing. :) Thanks again for this needed reminder to "scatter cream!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Convicting. Same here, I've been salt lately. Thanks for this message that reminds me of Luke 9:23. "Deny ourselves" and take up our cross.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very good post, thanks Chelsey! I'm afraid I haven't been very "creamy" lately... Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Chelsy,
    I think you did a wonderful job on this post. Well, actually on all of your posts. The pictures of you...you look stunning I tell you stunning! I also go on your family's blog and I see pictures of you and your family. Alison is also very beautiful. Do you guys travel a lot? You guys play a lot of instruments right? I play the piano and I go to Nursing Homes and play for the people there. I get really nervous and my legs shake, my face turns red, and my voice probably shakes. But then I remeber that God never leaves my side and that I can trust in him.
    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Matthew 5:13-16 - Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
    Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
    Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
    Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

    Matthew 12:36-37 - But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
    For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

    This is an exhortation to myself as much as anyone. Remember to try and include God's word (King James Bible in English) in your posts. There is greater hope of reward for publishing God's word, than for our own.

    Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

    Isaiah 55:11 - So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

    Stay strong in the faith till the Lord calls us home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a thought-provoking post that really made me question myself, Chelsy. Cream and salt and coffee- what an interesting observance you made! It sounds so true (though I have never had salt in my coffee:)) and paints such a clear picture! Your post really challenged me to reevaluate my perspective on things here. Thank you so much for faithfully encouraging others in the Lord through your blog!
    God bless you as you continue to serve and live for Him!
    In Christ,
    Morgan Roth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chels,
    Thank you SO MUCH for posting this!!! It was a HUGE encouragement to me!!! I've been too much like salt lately....and I want to strive to be more like cream! :) Thanks again!! Love and miss you bunches!
    Love,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete

Comments containing profanity and/or hateful language will not be published.